Okay - I know - I'm not a purist. I don't do ribs in a smoker or with charcoal. I do have a smoker on my someday/maybe list. But meanwhile, I have a gas grill. And I have three sons that love ribs. So I've learned a thing or two. Here goes:
1. Don't put the sauce on while cooking. It only messes with the rub.
2. Smoke them with mesquite. When I do that my grill smells like Sticky Fingers.
3. Cumin - of all the spices I put on them - cumin is the most important (imho).
4. Brown sugar - a close second.
5. Wrap them in foil for a period of time. Yesterday I did the small rack for 1 1/2 hours, and the large for over 2 hours.
6. Smoke them for as long as you can - yesterday was a little over 6 hours.
7. The rest of the rub: Garlic, fresh ground pepper, cinnamon and coffee.