I'm not exactly a Netflix (or in this case Amazon Prime video) binge watcher. But Beth, Tommy and I have been watching Downton Abbey for a while now. (It's been several months since we started, and we're almost through season 3 of 6, so I'd say we're anything but binge watchers.
But here's what I've learned while watching Downton Abbey:
- Everything Violet (Maggie Smith) says makes me laugh. Whether or not I'm supposed to laugh.
- Same thing for Mr. Carson.
- And Mrs. Hughes.
- This is a real house in England. It's on my bucket list.
- It was a terrible idea to look up the actors and actresses on imdb.com. It was like a huge spoiler on who was going to die. "Wait a minute - that character is only in 25 episodes? Oh no!"
- I don't know if it was like this when the show was on PBS, but some episodes take 45 minutes, and some take considerably longer. Especially toward the end of a season.
- It's a lot of fun to sit with Beth and Tom and just enjoy 45 minutes (or more) of really well written and well acted television.
- Especially when we do it with banana milkshakes.